CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS

Saturday, November 8, 2008

Okay, I've been meaning to do this for the past two months, but honestly, I've been so busy that every time I think about it, I'm in bed and simply too tired to take care of it. HOWEVER, I'm now ready to tell you about these AWESOME kids...
On Friday before school started (August 29th to be exact) the principal of the high school where I teach asked me if I would take over the journalism classes (since the journalism teacher left for another high school). He told me that if I didn't take it over, he would have a brand new English teacher take the job. "Of course!" I said, not really knowing anything about how journalism classes work now.
So far, I've learned two new computer programs -- Adobe InDesign and Adobe Photoshop -- and I'm learning how to send digital newspaper pages online to an FTP address so that our paper can be submitted, printed and delivered in a 24-hour turnaround. I'm also writing a journalism curriculum (scope and sequence) for my Stull evaluation this year, so it's been a sort of "learn as you teach" experience.
Now, this is my totally AWESOME newspaper class! My editors (Brenna, Mike and Courtney) are so adept in this class (and at newspaper publication and everything that goes with it) we finally produced our first incredible issue the beginning of October. ALL these kids are the best writers, editors, photographers and workers I've ever seen in a classroom. They are devoted to the paper, and make my job incredibly easy. I'm quite certain that I wouldn't have survived these first two months without their expert help. Quite honestly, this is undoubtedly my favorite class of all time. They are self-motivated, dedicated, and excellent journalists, and I am very proud to work with them.
Now, the only problem we have is that the district expects this to be a class, not just a club, so we need to publish a newspaper every month -- but the school site has only given me enough money to print three issues. We've been trying to sell all kinds of ads to add to our budget fund and be able to print additional issues, but so far we are still a little short. I've never prayed for money before, but I must admit, I'm doing it now. It's not for me; it's for these unbelievable kids, the paper that they love, and the preparation for the journalism profession they are all looking forward to in college. If you have any ideas on where to get another $3000, I'm willing to listen and work. :)

1 comments:

Unknown said...

Lol! Love ya too Ms. Nelson!!!

<3 your fave female Opinion Editor/Opinion Queen (hey, you dubbed me that!)
Rebi